Golden BearsSports

Bears hockey extend winning streak to five after wins against Manitoba

The Bears defeated Manitoba 7-1 in both games.

On November 4 and 5, the Golden Bears hockey team won two games against the University of Manitoba Bisons, ending both with matching scores of 7-1. The weekend wins marked the ninth and 10th wins for the Bears, extended their winning streak to five.

The Bears scored three goals in the first period of game one. The first occurred on a power play, just under six minutes into the period. Tyler Preziuso caught the puck from the face-off, passing cross-ice to Dawson Davidson, who shot from the point for the first goal of the game.

The Bears’ second goal was scored by Josh Prokop. Prokop broke into the Bisons zone under two-on-one coverage and shot over Bisons goalie, Ross Hawryluk’s shoulder.

The final goal of the period came on another power play, with nine seconds remaining. Eric Florchuk screened as Dylan Plouffe shot from the top of the circle, once again scoring over Hawryluk’s shoulder.

The second period saw another three goals for the Bears. With Manitoba taking a line change, Preziuso was able to pick up the puck and carry it into the Manitoba zone undefended, shooting over the goalie’s pad. 

The fifth goal of the game came from Ryan Hughes, as he shot from the goal line. Later, for his second goal in three minutes, Hughes took a pass from Joel Sexsmith and scored on the one-time shot. Hughes’ second goal ended the second period at 6-0.

The Bisons’ only goal happened after Samuel Stewart stopped Jakin Smallwood’s breakaway and carried the puck into the Alberta zone, only to be stopped in front of the net. Manitoba’s Johnny Hooker came in behind Stewart, catching the puck for a backhanded shot, and scoring the Bisons first and only goal of the game, setting a score of 6-1.

However, 20 seconds after the Bisons’ goal, Bear Daneel Lategan caught the breakaway and shot over the Manitoba goalie’s pad, to end the game with a score of 7-1

The second game started as Dilan Savenkov shot from the blue line and scored. Shortly after, Bears captain Matt Fonteyne dumped the puck into the Bisons’ territory, only to pick it up himself and score at the goal-line.

Manitoba’s only goal of the game came in the first period, when Bison Brett Davis took the one-time shot from the crease, off a pass from Devon Skoleski

The second period saw one goal for the Bears, as Cam Wiebe carried it back into the Manitoba zone, for a 2-on-1 goal for Alberta, as Manitoba switched goalies. Shortly after this goal, a fight broke out between the teams, resulting in a Bears penalty against Hughes for roughing. However, the Bears were able to keep the score at 4-1 during the penalty kill.

In the third period, the Bears scored four more goals, before ending the game at 7-1. The first of the period, came after Manitoba dropped a cross-ice pass. Adam Hall picked up the puck, then passed to Preziuso, who passed it back to Fonteyne in the crease, for the goal.

The Bears’ fifth of the game was scored by Smallwood off a rebound from a shot by Hughes. The sixth Bears goal came as Justin Hall carried the puck off the boards, through center ice, and into the corner of the crease. Hall took the shot on net, which was then tipped in by Smallwood in the crease. 

The final goal of the game was scored by Florchuk off a cross-ice pass from Prokop, setting the score at 7-1, where the game would end. 

Amanda Sparks

Amanda Sparks was the 2022-23 Staff Reporter for The Gateway. She is in her final year of a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in English. When she has time, you can usually find her under a pile of blankets crying over fictional characters, baking, hiking, or spending time with her cat.

Related Articles

Back to top button