Job Posting: Deputy Arts & Culture Editor
Join our passionate team of writers at The Gateway!
Senior Volunteer Position Available
Positions available: Deputy Arts & Culture Editor
Reports to: Managing Editor and Editor-in-Chief
Terms of Engagement: June 5, 2023 to August 31, 2023
Hours Expected: 5 hours per week
The Deputy Arts & Culture Editor shall be responsible for assisting the Production Editor with the operation and organization of the Arts & Culture section.
The Deputy Arts & Culture Editor must operate in accordance with Gateway Student Journalism Society bylaws, as well as the Gateway Student Journalism Society Code of Conduct, at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create weekly pitch lists for the Managing Editor to use during volunteer meetings to solicit content.
- Assist the Managing Editor in training volunteers and providing initial constructive feedback or edits on their work.
- Assist in coverage of campus events.
- Write one article every week for the Arts & Culture section, at minimum.
- Be ready to perform other position-related duties as assigned by the Managing Editor and the Editor-in-Chief.
- Must be registered in the equivalent of at least one (1) course for credit at the University of Alberta during each term of the Fall and Winter sessions following their term in this position.
- Must be a Gateway volunteer that has written at least one article in the 2022-23 publishing year.
- Must have knowledge of the Arts & Culture section, including what kinds of articles it publishes and what it covers.
- Must be available to meet the five hour per week commitment consistently.
- Must have basic computer skills.
- Must be able to deal effectively with Society and University staff, students, and the general public.
- Being a quick learner
- Able to complete tasks well and on-time
- Knowledgeable about a variety of article types
- Resourcefulness in finding article topics
- Leadership and coaching skills
- Knowledge of Canadian Press Style
Interested applicants are to send a cover letter and resume to Editor-in-Chief Katie Teeling by email to [email protected] with the subject line “Deputy Arts & Culture Editor Application.” Applications will be accepted until May 26, 2023 at midnight (MST).
Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis, so don’t delay in sending in your application. Successful applicants will be notified and will have a 30-minute interview, two minutes of which will be dedicated to a job pitch by candidates, with the Managing Editor and Editor-in-Chief.