Senior Volunteer Position Available
Position: Deputy Arts & Culture Editor
Reports to: Managing Editor and Editor-in-Chief
Terms of Engagement: October 24, 2022 to April 30, 2023
Hours expected: 5 hours per week
The Deputy Arts & Culture Editor shall be responsible for assisting the Managing Editor with the operation and organization of the Arts & Culture section.
The Deputy Arts & Culture Editor must operate in accordance with Gateway Student Journalism Society bylaws, as well as the Gateway Student Journalism Society Code of Conduct, at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create weekly pitch lists for the Managing Editor to use during volunteer meetings to solicit content.
- Create and send pitch emails for the Arts & Culture section.
- Assist the Managing Editor in training volunteers and providing initial constructive feedback or edits on their work.
- Assist in coverage of campus events.
- Write one article every week for the Arts & Culture section, at minimum.
- Be ready to perform other position-related duties as assigned by the Managing Editor and the Editor-in-Chief.
- Must be registered in the equivalent of at least one (1) course for credit at the University of Alberta during each term of the Fall and Winter sessions of their term in this position.
- Must be a Gateway volunteer that has a valid volunteer agreement signed for the publishing year.
- Must have knowledge of the Arts & Culture section, including what kinds of articles it publishes and what it covers.
- Must be available to meet the five hour per week commitment consistently.
- Must have basic computer skills.
- Must be able to deal effectively with Society and University staff, students, and the general public.
- Being a quick learner
- Able to complete tasks well and on-time
- Knowledgeable about a variety of article types
- Resourcefulness in finding article topics
- Leadership and coaching skills
- Knowledge of Canadian Press Style
Interested applicants are to send a cover letter and resume to Editor-in-Chief Emily Williams by email to [email protected] with the subject line “Deputy Arts & Culture Editor Application.” Applications will be accepted until October 21, 2022 at midnight (MST).
Successful applicants will be notified and will have a 30-minute interview with the Managing Editor and Editor-in-Chief.