Senior Volunteer Position Available
Position: Deputy Sports Reporter
Reports to: News Editor and Editor-in-Chief
Terms of Engagement: September 21, 2022 to April 30
Hours expected: 5 hours per week
The Deputy Sports Reporter shall be responsible for assisting the News Editor with the operation and organization of the Sports section.
The Deputy Sports Reporter must operate in accordance with Gateway Student Journalism Society bylaws, as well as the Gateway Student Journalism Society Code of Conduct, at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure, in conjunction with the News Editor, that matters of interest for the Sports section are covered.
- Assist in brainstorming and researching new story ideas for the sports section.
- Assist in coverage sports games and events.
- Assist the News Editor in training volunteers and providing initial constructive feedback or edits on their work.
- Write at least one article a week for the Sports Section.
- Perform other position-related duties as required by the News Editor and/or Editor-in-Chief.
- Must be registered in the equivalent of at least one (1) course for credit at the University of Alberta during each term of the Fall and Winter sessions of their term in this position.
- Must be a Gateway volunteer that has a valid volunteer agreement signed for the publishing year.
- Must have a strong knowledge of the News or Sports section, including what kinds of articles it publishes and what it covers.
- Must be available to meet the five hour per week commitment consistently.
- Must have basic computer skills.
- Must be able to deal effectively with Society and University staff, students, and the general public.
- Being a quick learner
- Able to complete tasks well and on-time
- Resourcefulness in finding article topics
- Leadership and coaching skills
- Knowledge of Canadian Press Style
Interested applicants are to send a cover letter and resume to Editor-in-Chief Emily Williams by email to [email protected] with the subject line “Deputy Sports Reporter Application.” Applications will be accepted until September 19 at midnight (MST).
Successful applicants will be notified and will have a 15-minute interview with the News Editor and Editor-in-Chief.