Senior Volunteer Position Available
Position: Deputy Photo Editor
Reports to: Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor
Terms of Engagement: October 1, 2022 to April 30, 2023
Hours expected: 3 hours per week*
*note: these hours may fluctuate from week to week.
The Deputy Photo Editor shall be responsible for assisting the Managing Editor and Editor-in-Chief with the operation and organization of the Photo section.
The Deputy Photo Editor must operate in accordance with Gateway Student Journalism Society bylaws, as well as the Gateway Student Journalism Society Code of Conduct, at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate with the Managing Editor to ensure that relevant photos are available for online content.
- Create weekly pitch lists for the Managing Editor to use during volunteer meetings to solicit content.
- Create and send pitch emails for the Photo section.
- Take photos for at least one article a week.
- Perform other position-related duties as required by the Managing Editor and/or Editor-in-Chief.
- Must be registered in the equivalent of at least one (1) course for credit at the University of Alberta during each of the Fall and Winter terms.
- Must be available to work varying hours.
- Must have solid grounding in both traditional and digital photographic techniques, as well as a thorough knowledge of digital colour correction and image manipulation.
- Must have excellent organizational skills.
- Must be able to deal effectively with Gateway and university staff, students and the general public.
- Being a quick learner
- Able to complete tasks well and on-time
- Knowledgeable about a variety of photography
- Resourcefulness in finding article topics
- Leadership and coaching skills
- Knowledge of Canadian Press Style
Interested applicants are to send a cover letter and resume to Editor-in-Chief Emily Williams by email to [email protected] with the subject line “Deputy Photo Editor Application.” Applications will be accepted until September 30, 2021 at midnight (MST).
Successful applicants will be notified and will have a 15-minute interview with the Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor.