Position: Staff Reporter
Reports to: News Editor and Editor-in-Chief
Terms of Contract: Part-time from September 1, 2022 to April 30, 2023
Expected Hours: 8-10 hours/week during the school year
*note: these hours may fluctuate from week to week.
The Staff Reporter shall be responsible for both writing and pitching stories for The Gateway’s News section, and working with the News Editor to ensure that all important campus news is covered in an efficient and timely manner. The Staff Reporter is also expected to be ready to cover breaking news. The Staff Reporter must operate in accordance with Gateway Student Journalism Society bylaws at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure, in conjunction with the News Editor, that matters of interest for the News section are covered.
- Write copy for each section, as directed by the Editor-and-Chief and other line editors. The Staff Reporter will be responsible for taking a minimum of two stories per week.
- Provide consistent and timely news coverage through the Students’ Union election period.
- Assist in brainstorming and researching new story ideas by attending weekly section meetings and editorial meetings.
- Endeavour, in conjunction with the Production Editor and News Editor, to generate story ideas that may be worthy of in-depth coverage in the features section.
- Must be able to write copy to deadline, complete copy in a timely manner, and be available to cover breaking news, as requested by the News Editor.
- Be available to cover Students’ Council, Graduate Students’ Association Council, General Faculties Council, and Board of Governors as requested by the News Editor.
- Perform other job-related duties as required by the Editor-in-Chief and other section editors.
1) Must be registered in the equivalent of at least one (1) course for credit at the University of Alberta during each term of the Fall and Winter sessions of their term in this position.
2) Must be available to work varying hours.
3) Experience with interviewing and news reporting is an asset.
4) Must have basic computer skills.
5) Must be able to deal effectively with Gateway, Students’ Union, and University staff, as well as students and the general public.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and portfolio of up to five pieces to Editor-in-Chief Emily Williams at [email protected] Applications are due on July 29, 2022 at 10:00 p.m.
Interviews will be scheduled for the following week. The interview process consists of a 20-minute interview, five minutes of which are dedicated to a job pitch by candidates.