Position: Executive Director
Reports to: Editor-in-Chief, Board of Directors
Closing Date: April 27, 2022 at 10:00 p.m.
Terms of Contract: May 1, 2022 to April 30, 2023
Expected hours: Spring/Summer: 15-20hrs/week, Fall/Winter: 20-35hrs/week
The Executive Director will be charged with managing the business administration, donation portfolio, and branding at The Gateway. The Executive Director will follow the wishes of the Editor-in-Chief and the Gateway Student Journalism Society Board, and must operate in accordance with the bylaws and policies of the Gateway Student Journalism Society at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Sell advertisements for The Gateway in accordance with the publishing schedules, pricing, Society policy, and bylaws.
- Ensure strategic level business administration is completed and that any projects requiring attention are completed.
- Account for the funds through keeping accurate records of revenues and expenditures in proper financial statements
- Ensure that receipts are properly received, filed, and reimbursed as necessary.
- Write cheques and ensure they are signed by GSJS signing authorities. Send and deliver cheques to recipients.
- Administer, record transactions coming out of petty cash.
- Ensure invoices, tearsheets, and all documentation involved with advertising sales is recorded and maintained properly.
- Send off payroll, key requests, and other requests to the Students’ Union in conjunction with the Editor-in-Chief.
- Maintain consistent communication with the bookkeeper and accountant to update and administer financial information.
- Oversee and delegate accordingly the necessary regular yearly business functions, like the filing of taxes, the completion of yearly audits, and the creation of an annual budget.
- Solicit local businesses, clubs, and organizations for sponsorship and contra opportunities to build relationships and promote The Gateway.
- Hold outreach events for campus, such as class talks, open houses, and Week of Welcome.
- Create an annual marketing and outreach plan and schedule in coordination with the Editor-in-Chief, which includes social events and social media schedules.
- Contribute to the building and solidifying a consistent branding strategy for The Gateway.
- Maintain communication with the student body through consultation initiatives such as the creation and circulation of the reader survey and volunteer satisfaction survey.
- Researching, pursuing, and enacting alternative sources of revenue for the organization.
- Submit a timely report to the Board of Directors 72 hours in advance of all meetings.
- Perform other duties as required by the Editor-in-Chief and the Board of Directors Finance Committee.
- Must be registered in the equivalent of at least one (1) course for credit at the University of Alberta for the Academic year for their term in this position.
- Must be available to work varying hours.
- Must have computer skills.
- Must be able to deal effectively with the Society and University Staff, students, and the general public.
- Must be proficient in Google Suite. Knowledge of Quickbooks and DropBox is an asset.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Editor-in-Chief Mitchell Pawluk at [email protected] Applications are due on April 27, 2022, at 10:00 p.m..
Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis, so don’t delay sending in your application. Applicants must present a five-minute platform pitch that they would implement if hired by The Gateway. This will be followed by a 45-minute interview.