Senior Volunteer Position Available
Position: Deputy Opinion Editor
Reports to: Opinion Editor and Editor-in-Chief
Terms of Engagement: November 17, 2021 to April 30, 2022
Hours Expected: 5 hours per week
The Deputy Opinion Editor shall be responsible for assisting the Opinion Editor with the operation and organization of the Opinion section.
The Deputy Opinion Editor must operate in accordance with Gateway Student Journalism Society bylaws, as well as the Gateway Student Journalism Society Code of Conduct, at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure, in conjunction with the Opinion Editor, that matters of interest for the Opinion section are covered.
- Create weekly pitch lists for the Opinion Editor to use during volunteer meetings to solicit content.
- Attend Opinion section meetings.
- Create and send post-meeting pitch emails for the Opinion section.
- Assist in brainstorming ideas for recurring columns for the section.
- Assist in coverage of campus events and leading the Student’ Union elections coverage team.
- Assist the Opinion Editor in training volunteers and providing initial constructive feedback or edits on their work.
- Write at least one article a week for the Opinion Section.
- Perform other position-related duties as required by the Opinion Editor and/or Editor-in-Chief.
- Must be registered in the equivalent of at least one (1) course for credit at the University of Alberta during each term of the Fall and Winter sessions of their term in this position.
- Must be a Gateway volunteer that has a valid volunteer agreement signed for the publishing year.
- Must have a strong knowledge of the Opinion section, including what kinds of articles it publishes and what it covers.
- Must be available to meet the five hour per week commitment consistently.
- Must have basic computer skills.
- Must be able to deal effectively with Society and University staff, students, and the general public.
- Being a quick learner
- Able to complete tasks well and on-time
- Knowledgeable about a variety of article types
- Resourcefulness in finding article topics
- Leadership and coaching skills
- Knowledge of Canadian Press Style
Interested applicants are to send a cover letter and resume to Editor-in-Chief Mitchell Pawluk by email to [email protected] with the subject line “Deputy Opinion Editor Application.” Applications will be accepted until November 12, 2021 at midnight (MST).
Successful applicants will be notified and will have a 30-minute interview with the Opinion Editor and Editor-in-Chief.