Senior Volunteer Positions Available
Positions available: Two Deputy Arts & Culture Editors
Reports to: Production Editor and Editor-in-Chief
Terms of Engagement: November 17, 2021 to April 30, 2022
Hours Expected: 5 hours per week
The Deputy Arts & Culture Editors shall be responsible for assisting the Production Editor with the operation and organization of the Arts & Culture section.
The Deputy Arts & Culture Editors must operate in accordance with Gateway Student Journalism Society bylaws, as well as the Gateway Student Journalism Society Code of Conduct, at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create weekly pitch lists for the Production Editor to use during volunteer meetings to solicit content.
- Attend Arts & Culture section meetings.
- Create and send post-meeting pitch emails for the Arts & Culture section.
- Assist the Production Editor in training volunteers and providing initial constructive feedback or edits on their work.
- Write one article every two weeks for the Arts & Culture section, at minimum.
- Be ready to perform other position-related duties as assigned by the Production Editor and the Editor-in-Chief.
- Must be registered in the equivalent of at least one (1) course for credit at the University of Alberta during each term of the Fall and Winter sessions of their term in this position.
- Must be a Gateway volunteer that has a valid volunteer agreement signed for the publishing year.
- Must have knowledge of the Arts & Culture section, including what kinds of articles it publishes and what it covers.
- Must be available to meet the five hour per week commitment consistently.
- Must have basic computer skills.
- Must be able to deal effectively with Society and University staff, students, and the general public.
- Being a quick learner
- Able to complete tasks well and on-time
- Knowledgeable about a variety of article types
- Resourcefulness in finding article topics
- Leadership and coaching skills
- Knowledge of Canadian Press Style
Interested applicants are to send a cover letter and resume to Editor-in-Chief Mitchell Pawluk by email to [email protected] with the subject line “Deputy Arts & Culture Editor Application.” Applications will be accepted until November 12, 2021 at midnight (MST).
Successful applicants will be notified and will have a 30-minute interview with the Production Editor and Editor-in-Chief.