Reports to: Editor-in-Chief, Production Editor
Terms of Contract: Part-time from September 1, 2021 to April 30, 2022
Expected Hours: Approx. 5 hours per week
*note: these hours may fluctuate from week to week
The Webmaster shall be responsible for updating and maintaining the back-end of The Gateway’s website and listserv, as required. The Webmaster shall also be responsible for maintaining The Gateway’s technical equipment (including, but not limited to servers, computers, and printers). The Webmaster must operate in accordance with the Gateway Student Journalism Society bylaws at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offer on-site technical support in relation to updating editorial computer software, updating and cleaning out servers, cleaning Drop Box, and volunteer computers as necessary.
- Perform editorial computer maintenance, printer maintenance, and server maintenance as necessary. Communicate with the Executive Director on replacement of old technology as required.
- Liaise with external technical personnel in the U of A Students’ Union to ensure the continued operation and quality of The Gateway’s computer hardware, software, and networks.
- Develop new functionality for The Gateway’s website, as requested by the EIC and Production Editor; work on long-term technical projects as required by the Business Unit or the Editor-in-Chief.
- Work in conjunction with the Production Editor to produce specialty webpages, including pages for The Getaway, and the Purity Test.
- Ensure the creation of a yearly Gateway reader survey online.
- Continually monitor all Multimedia content and maintain a strict level of quality control.
- Perform other job-related job duties as required by the Editor-in-Chief and Production Editor.
- Must have excellent computer skills, especially pertaining to Web programming and computer maintenance.
- Must be available to work various hours and willing to work on-call.
- Must be able to deal effectively with Society and University staff, students, and the general public.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Editor-in-Chief Mitchell Pawluk at [email protected] Applications are due on August 30, 2021, at 10:00 p.m.
Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis, so don’t delay sending in your application. Applicants must present a five-minute platform pitch that they would implement if hired by The Gateway. This will be followed by a 30-minute interview.