Position: Executive Director
Reports to: Editor-in-Chief
Terms of contract: Full-time, position from 1 January, 2021 to April 30, 2021 with training and orientation to begin as soon as hiring is completed
Salary: $1,533.34 per month
Job Summary: The Executive Director will be charged with managing the overall Business Unit at The Gateway by directly overseeing the Marketing & Outreach Coordinator and Business Administrator alongside the sale of online and print advertisements. The Executive Director will follow the wishes of the Editor-in-Chief and the Gateway Student Journalism Society Board, and must operate in accordance with the bylaws and policies of the Gateway Student Journalism Society at all times.
- Sell advertisements for the print Gateway magazine edition and online website in accordance with the publishing schedules, pricing, Society policy, and bylaws.
- Implement proper office communications and policies.
- Oversee the maintenance of a functional and welcoming office.
- Ensure strategic level business administration is completed and that any projects requiring attention are completed.
- Oversee and delegate accordingly the necessary regular yearly business functions, like the filing of taxes and the completion of yearly audits.
- Solicit local businesses, clubs, and organizations for sponsorship and contra opportunities to build relationships and promote The Gateway.
- Communicate developments effectively with the Editor-in-Chief.
- Hold regular Business Unit meetings involving the Marketing & Outreach Coordinator and Business Administrator, at minimum.
- Oversee and manage Business Unit operations.
- Ensure, in conjunction with the Art Director, that design work for outreach projects is completed in a timely fashion.
- Present to the GSJS Board in-person reports and materials which illuminate progress on advertisement sales, sponsorship and contra opportunities, and work undertaken by both the Business Administrator and the Marketing & Outreach Coordinator.
- Submit these reports and materials to the Board of Directors 72 hours in advance of all meetings.
- Solicit written reports in a timely manner from the Business Administrator and the Marketing & Outreach Coordinator for their respective projects.
- Perform other duties as required by the Editor-in-Chief.
- Must be registered in the equivalent of at least one (1) course for credit at the University of Alberta during the Winter semester of their term in this position.
- Must be available to work varying hours.
- Must have computer skills.
- Must be able to deal effectively with the Society and University Staff, students, and the general public.
- Must be proficient in Google Suite. Knowledge of Quickbooks and DropBox is an asset.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to incoming Editor-in-Chief Adam Lachacz at [email protected] with the email subject line: Executive Director Application. Applications are due December 18, 2020 at 10:00 p.m.
Interviews will be scheduled for the following weekend. Applicants must prepare a five-minute pitch about their vision for the position and what they can bring to The Gateway. This will be followed by a 30-minute interview.