Position: Director of Marketing and Outreach
Reports to: Editor-in-Chief, Board of Directors
Salary: $10,350 annually (monthly distribution to be negotiated)
The Director of Marketing and Outreach is responsible for coordinating campus engagement activities such as campus events and social media initiatives, and will be required to attend campus events and network on behalf of The Gateway.
- Attend campus events and network on behalf of The Gateway.
- Solicit local businesses, clubs, and organizations for sponsorship and contra opportunities in conjunction with the Director of Finance and Administration to build relationships and promote The Gateway.
- Ensure, in conjunction with the Art Director, that design work for outreach projects is completed in a timely fashion.
- Conduct two class or student group talks per month to recruit volunteers.
- Create an annual marketing and outreach plan and schedule in coordination with the Editor-in-Chief, which will include:
- Maintain old marketing avenues (Monthly Gateway to Cinema, negotiating SUTV, Week of Welcome programming, scheduling tabling, organizing setup, coordinate swag material, semesterly Open House events), and explore new marketing avenues.
- Work with a logowear company to create a swag set to be given away to students during Week of Welcome. This will include working with the Art Director to create appropriate logos as well as the ordering of the items.
- Work with a logowear company to create apparel for GSJS members by the end of September.
- Manage outreach and marketing through The Gateway’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, and YouTube accounts under the direction of the Online Editor.
- Construct and update banners and posters around campus as necessary
- Work with online and photo editor to create photo and video outreach and marketing content.
- Plan logistics and costs of events while adhering to budget.
- Plan and host events, such as:
- Incoming/Outgoing Party
- Art and Photo Show (in conjunction with the Art Director and Photo Editor)
- Fall and Winter Open Houses
- Holiday and Valentine’s Day card sales
- Annual Reader Appreciation Party
- GSJS end of year party with awards
- Internal events (staff holiday party and dinner, office movie nights)
- Monitor the success of each outreach event and initiative and provide analysis.
- Provide a Marketing and Outreach Report and presentation of marketing plans to the GSJS Board of Directors in person on a monthly basis.
- Contribute to the building and solidifying a consistent branding strategy for The Gateway.
- Organize tabling in SUB once per month with GSJS members.
- Organize the Campus Cup team with GSJS members.
- Work with the Managing Editor to integrate outreach in the magazine.
- Facilitate social media events and/or giveaways by coordinating with donors and advertising giveaway posts.
- Maintain communication with the student body through outreach initiatives such as the reader survey and volunteer satisfaction survey.
- A student registered in at least 1 course per semester for the 2019-20 academic year at the University of Alberta.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated campus project management (planning, coordinating, and taking projects from concept to completion).
- Previous event planning experience.
- Previous marketing experience.
- Professional social media management experience an asset.
- Experience with graphic design and the Adobe Creative Suite an asset.
- Must be self-directed and demonstrate effective time management with minimal supervision.
- A deep interest and understanding of The Gateway’s editorial vision and mandate on campus.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to current Editor-in-Chief Oumar Salifou at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are due April 10, 2019 at 4:00 p.m. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interviews will be scheduled for the following weekend. Applicants must present a five-minute pitch. This will followed by a 30-minute interview.