Reports to: Editor-in-Chief
Terms of Contract: Part-time, one-year position from May 1, 2019 to April 30, 2020
Expected Hours: May – 5-10hrs/week, June and July – 5hrs/week, August – 5-10hrs/week, Sept.-Apr. – 15-20 hrs/week
*note: these hours may fluctuate from week to week.
Salary: $10,350 (monthly distribution to be negotiated)
The Photo Editor is responsible for ensuring content related photos for The Gateway’s magazine and ensuring related photos for online content. The Photo Editor must operate in accordance with the Gateway Student Journalism Society bylaws at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure, in cooperation with all editorial departments, that appropriate photographs are available for publication in The Gateway and online.
- Consult with Art Director to ensure optimal quality of photos in the magazine and that they work within the layout template.
- Coordinate with Online Editor to ensure that relevant photos are available for all online content.
- Ensure that sufficient photographic equipment, material, and resources are available for staff and volunteers.
- Maintain a clean and organized workspace, including the photo desk and photo studio.
- Supervise the use and distribution of photo equipment and accessories.
- Ensure that digital photo archives are organized and maintained.
- Consult with the Business Unit and the Editor-in-Chief in developing the photo budget and ensure that the photo budget is adhered to.
- Process digital graphic files for optimal output, seeking assistance where needed from the Design & Production Editor and the printer.
- In conjunction with the Managing Editor, endeavour to generate and/or solicit from volunteers story ideas that may be worthy of in-depth coverage in the features section (whether written or photographic).
- Train volunteers in the operation of digital (and, if possible, traditional) SLR camera technology.
- Coordinate at least one workshop per semester (two if possible) that deals with beginner photography skills, and one (two if possible) that deals with advanced photography and lighting techniques.
- Update the Photo Staff Manual over the summer with any necessary improvements or changes to help facilitate volunteer training in photography.
- Hand out new issues of The Gateway on campus once per month at the discretion of the Editor-in-Chief
- Perform other job-related duties as required by the Editor-in-Chief.
- Must be registered in the equivalent of at least one (1) course for credit at the University of Alberta during each term of the Fall and Winter sessions of their term in this position.
- Must be available to work varying hours.
- Must have solid grounding in both traditional and digital photographic techniques, as well as a thorough knowledge of digital colour correction and image manipulation.
- Must have excellent organizational skills
- Must be able to deal effectively with Gateway and University staff, students and the general public.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and portfolio of up to five pieces to current Editor-in-Chief Oumar Salifou at email@example.com. Applications are due on March 27, 2019 at 4:00pm. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interviews will take place on the following weekend. The interview process consists of a 30-minute editorial test and a 30-minute interview, five minutes of which are dedicated to a job pitch by candidates.