Senior Volunteer Position Available
Position: Deputy Illustrator
Reports to: Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor
Terms of Engagement: October 23, 2023 to April 30, 2024
Hours expected: 3 hours per week*
*Note: these hours may fluctuate from week to week.
The Deputy Illustrator shall be responsible for assisting the Managing Editor and Editor-in-Chief with the operation and organization of the Visuals section.
The Deputy Illustrator must operate in accordance with Gateway Student Journalism Society bylaws, as well as the Gateway Student Journalism Society Code of Conduct, at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate with the Managing Editor to ensure that relevant illustrations are available for online content.
- Create weekly pitch lists for the Managing Editor to use during volunteer meetings to solicit content.
- Create and send pitch emails for the Visuals section.
- Coordinate with the Managing Editor to illustrate graphics for recurring columns and articles as needed.
- Perform other position-related duties as required by the Managing Editor and/or Editor-in-Chief.
- Must be registered in the equivalent of at least one (1) course for credit at the University of Alberta during each of the Fall and Winter terms.
- Must be available to work varying hours.
- Must have solid grounding in both traditional and digital photographic techniques, as well as a thorough knowledge of digital colour correction and image manipulation.
- Must have excellent organizational skills.
- Must be able to deal effectively with Gateway and university staff, students and the general public.
- Being a quick learner
- Able to complete tasks well and on-time
- Knowledgeable about software like Adobe Creative Cloud
- Resourcefulness in finding article topics
- Leadership and coaching skills
Interested applicants are to send a cover letter and resume to Editor-in-Chief Katie Teeling by email to [email protected] with the subject line “Deputy Illustrator Application.” Applications will be accepted until October 16, 2023 at midnight (MST).
Successful applicants will be notified and will have a 15-minute interview with the Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor.