Senior Volunteer Position Available
Are you curious about how The Gateway works but don’t consider yourself a writer? Or maybe you are a current volunteer that just wants to get more involved with The Gateway behind the scenes?
Join The Gateway’s Business Unit as a Volunteer Marketing and Business Coordinator!
Position: Volunteer Marketing and Business Coordinator
Reports to: Executive Director and Editor-in-Chief
Terms of Engagement: October 24, 2022 to April 30, 2023
Hours expected: 1-3 hours per week
The Volunteer Marketing and Business Coordinator shall be responsible for assisting the Executive Director with the operation and organization of the Business Unit.
The Volunteer Marketing and Business Coordinator must operate in accordance with Gateway Student Journalism Society bylaws, as well as the Gateway Student Journalism Society Code of Conduct, at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure, in conjunction with the Executive Director, that matters of interest for the Business Unit are covered.
- Attend weekly B-Unit meetings.
- Assist in the social media operations and marketing of The Gateway.
- Assist in brainstorming ideas for fundraising, advertising, grant applications, and other alternative revenue sources.
- Assist in market research and facilitating updating and promoting The Gateway brand on campus.
- Perform other position-related duties as required by the Executive Director and/or Editor-in-Chief.
- Must be registered in the equivalent of at least one (1) course for credit at the University of Alberta during each term of the Fall and Winter sessions of their term in this position.
- Must have knowledge of The Gateway, including what kinds of articles it publishes and what it covers.
- Must be available to meet the 1-3 hour per week commitment consistently.
- Must be able to deal effectively with Society and University staff, students, and the general public.
- Being a quick learner
- Able to complete tasks well and on-time
- Knowledgeable about marketing
- Resourcefulness in finding article topics
- motivated and independent worker
Interested applicants are to send a cover letter and resume to Editor-in-Chief Emily Williams by email to [email protected] with the subject line “Volunteer Marketing and Business Coordinator Application.” Applications will be accepted until October 21, 2022 at midnight (MST).