Position: Marketing and Outreach Coordinator
Reports to: Editor-in-Chief
Closing Date: August 29, 2021 at 10:00 p.m. MST
Terms of Contract: Part-time position from September 1, 2021 to April 30, 2022
Expected hours: Approx. 10-25 hours a week
*note: these hours may fluctuate from week to week
The Marketing & Outreach Coordinator will be charged with ensuring the effective on-campus branding of The Gateway and its expansion. The Marketing & Outreach Coordinator will follow the wishes of the Editor-in-Chief, and must operate in accordance with the bylaws and policies of the Gateway Student Journalism Society at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend campus events and network on behalf of The Gateway.
- Hold outreach events for campus including the following:
- Class talks and student group visits
- Open Houses in Fall and Winter semesters
- Week of Welcome programming
- Students events such as photo shows, card sales, reader appreciation parties, etc.
- Events for staff such as Campus Cup, incoming and outgoing parties
- Events for volunteers such as movie nights and the year-end party with awards
- Community events such as Gateway to Cinema
- Create an annual marketing and outreach plan and schedule in coordination with the Editor-in-Chief, which will include:
- In-person and online programming for the year
- Social media schedules
- Monitor the success of each outreach initiative and provide analysis.
- Submit a timely report to the Board of Directors 72 hours in advance of all meetings.
- Contribute to the building and solidifying a consistent branding strategy for The Gateway.
- Facilitate social media events and/or giveaways by coordinating with donors and advertising giveaway posts.
- Maintain communication with the student body through consultation initiatives such as the creation and circulation of the reader survey and volunteer satisfaction survey.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to solicit local businesses, clubs, and organizations for sponsorship and contra opportunities to build relationships and promote The Gateway.
- Regularly conduct outreach to student clubs, services, and organizations on campus to pursue outreach opportunities.
- Perform other duties as required by the Editor-in-Chief.
- Must be registered in the equivalent of at least one (1) course for credit at the University of Alberta for the Academic year during their term in this position.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated campus project management (planning, coordinating, and taking projects from concept to completion).
- Previous marketing experience.
- Professional social media management experience is an asset.
- Experience with graphic design and the Adobe Creative Suite an asset.
- Must be self-directed and demonstrate effective time management with minimal supervision.
- An interest and understanding of The Gateway’s editorial vision and mandate on campus.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Editor-in-Chief Mitchell Pawluk at [email protected] Applications are due on August 29, 2021, at 10:00 p.m.
Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis, so don’t delay sending in your application. Applicants must present a five-minute platform pitch that they would implement if hired by The Gateway. This will be followed by a 30-minute interview.