Position: Production Editor
Reports to: Editor-in-Chief
Closing Date: April 16, 2021 at 10:00 PM MST
Terms of Contract: 20-35* hour position from May 1, 2021 to April 30, 2022
Hours may fluctuate.
Salary: $14,000 (monthly distribution to be determined)
The Production Editor shall be responsible for managing the quality and quantity of The Gateway’s online content. The Production Editor shall provide support to the Editor-in-Chief in respect to editorial workflow and administration for online content, and shall be an educational resource for line editors and volunteers. The Production Editor must operate in accordance with the Gateway Student Journalism Society bylaws at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Coordinate and ensure the completion of web-specific content.
– The Production Editor will be responsible for managing line editors and deputy line editors;
– as well as soliciting content from line editors and deputy line editors.
2) Edit and/or approve all online-exclusive content before posting, including articles, blogs, videos, and podcasts. Coordinate with the Editor-in-Chief an effective method of online publication and editing.
3) Encourage the involvement of volunteers in web features by holding weekly meetings and training volunteers in data journalism techniques, blogging and other web journalism.
4) Monitor The Gateway’s Facebook and Twitter accounts daily and interact with Gateway readers through these platforms, and report any libellous and abusive comments to the Editor-in-Chief. Use these platforms to post Gateway articles in an attempt to increase web traffic. Explore the use of other social media platforms
5) Meet with the Editor-in-Chief weekly to discuss any relevant online topics and activities. Meet with Editor-in-Chief and any other technical staff regularly to discuss website upgrades and maintenance.
6) Continually monitor all online content and maintain a strict level of quality control across the site.
7) Monitor, in conjunction with the Editor-in-Chief, web comments for libellous and/or inappropriate content.
8) Produce for the Gateway Student Journalism Society Board of Directors, 72 hours prior to each meeting, a report on website traffic and other online initiatives, which shall be presented at each meeting of the Board of Directors.
9) Create and send the biweekly The Gateway newsletter.
10) In the case of an unanticipated temporary absence of the Editor-in-Chief, ensure that the duties of the EIC are completed.
11) In the case of any vacancy in the office of Editor-in-Chief, assume the role of Acting Editor-in-Chief until such time as hiring of a new Editor-in-Chief is conducted in accordance with the Bylaws.
12) Perform other job-related duties as required by the Editor-in-Chief.
- Must be registered in the equivalent of at least one (1) course for credit at the University of Alberta during the Fall and Winter term of their term in this position.
- Must be available to work various hours.
- Must have excellent computer skills and an interest in social media and the web.
- Must be able to deal effectively with Gateway and university staff, students, and the general public.
- Training in data journalism, programming, and video and audio editing software such as Adobe Premiere Pro and Hindenburg an asset, but not required.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and portfolio of five pieces to current Editor-in-Chief Pia Co at [email protected] with the subject line “Production Editor Hiring” by 10 p.m. (MST) on April 14, 2021.