Position: News Editor
Reports to: Editor-in-Chief
Closing Date: April 14, 2021 at 10:00 PM MST
Terms of Contract: May 1, 2021 to April 30, 2022
Expected Hours: May 2021 – August 2021 – 15 hours/week,
September 2021 – April 2021 – 25/30 hours/week
Hours may fluctuate week to week.
Salary: $11,500 (monthly distribution to be determined)
The News Editor shall be responsible for leading the operations of the News department and ensuring that volunteers have the resources and abilities to produce good news copy. The News Editor shall assist the Editor-in-Chief and Production Editor with planning, administration, and human resources management should circumstances warrant. The News Editor shall also be responsible for teaching interested persons about the operations of The Gateway. The News Editor must operate in accordance with the Gateway Student Journalism Society bylaws at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that matters of interest for the News section are covered in a timely manner, with the priority being campus related news.
- Write and edit a minimum number of articles per week as specified by the Editor-in-Chief for the News section.
- Ensure that Board of Governors, General Faculties Council, and Students’ Council meetings are covered.
- Coordinate at least one news-specific training workshop each semester, two if possible.
- Recruit and train volunteers to write news.
- Be available at the discretion of the Editor-in-Chief and Production Editor to edit copy for other online content.
- Hold final say in the operations of the News section, subject to the intervention of the Editor-in-Chief or the editorial board.
- Ensure appropriate photos and/or graphics are available for the News section
- Ensure that news events of relevance to the student body are covered in a timely and conscientious manner.
- Ensure, in conjunction with the Editor-in-Chief and Production Editor, that the tasks of any absent editor are completed.
- In the case of the absence from, or vacancy of the Production Editor, assist the Editor-in-Chief in the regular Production Editor’s duties.
- In the case of the absence from, or vacancy of both the Editor-in-Chief and the Production Editor positions, the News Editor will act as the Editor-in-Chief.
- Arrange and distribute media passes where applicable.
- Perform other job-related duties as required by the Editor-in-Chief.
- Must be registered in the equivalent of at least one (1) course for credit at the University of Alberta during each term of the Fall and Winter sessions of their term in this position.
- Must be available to work varying hours.
- Must have basic computer skills.
- Must have experience with news writing and gathering, as well as interviewing.
- Must have a basic understanding of Alberta libel laws.
- Must be able to deal effectively with Gateway and University staff, students, and the general public.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and portfolio of up to five pieces to current Editor-in-Chief Pia Co at [email protected] Applications are due on April 14, 2021 at 10:00 pm.
Interviews will be scheduled for the following weekend. The interview process consists of a 30-minute editorial test and a 30-minute interview, five minutes of which are dedicated to a job pitch by candidates.