Position: Marketing & Outreach Coordinator
Reports to: Executive Director
Terms of Contract: Part-time, 10-25 hours per week, one-year position from 1 May 2020 to 30 April 2021 (hours may fluctuate from week to week)
Salary: $8,250 (monthly distribution to be negotiated
Job Summary: The Marketing & Outreach Coordinator will be charged with ensuring the effective on-campus branding of The Gateway and its expansion. The Marketing & Outreach Coordinator will follow the wishes of the Executive Director, and must operate in accordance with the bylaws and policies of the Gateway Student Journalism Society at all times.
- Attend campus events and network on behalf of The Gateway.
- Communicate any design work for outreach projects to the Art Director and Executive Director in a timely fashion.
- Conduct two class or student group talks per month to recruit volunteers.
- Create an annual marketing and outreach plan and schedule in coordination with the Executive Director and Editor-in-Chief, which will include:
- Maintaining old marketing avenues (Monthly Gateway to Cinema, negotiating SUTV, Week of Welcome programming, scheduling tabling, organizing setup, coordinate swag material, semesterly Open House events), and explore new marketing avenues.
- Working with a logo-wear company to create a swag set to be given away to students during Week of Welcome. This will include working with the Art Director to create appropriate logos as well as the ordering of the items.
- Working with a logowear company to create apparel for GSJS members by the end of September.
- Managing outreach and marketing through The Gateway’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, and YouTube accounts under the direction of the Online Editor.
- Constructing and updating Gateway banners and posters around campus promoting branding and events as necessary.
- Working with Online and Photo Editor to create photo and video outreach and marketing content.
- Planning logistics and costs of events while adhering to budget.
- Plan and host events, such as:
- Incoming/Outgoing Party
- Art and Photo Show (in conjunction with the Art Director and Photo Editor)
- Fall and Winter Open Houses
- Holiday and Valentine’s Day card sales
- Annual Reader Appreciation Party
- GSJS end of year party with awards
- Internal events (staff holiday party and dinner, office movie nights)
- Monitor the success of each outreach event and initiative and provide analysis.
- Provide a Marketing and Outreach Report and presentation of marketing plans to the Executive Director to present to the GSJS Board of Directors on a monthly basis.
- Contribute to the building and solidifying a consistent branding strategy for The Gateway.
- Organize tabling in SUB once per month with GSJS members.
- Organize the Campus Cup team with GSJS members.
- Work with the Magazine Editor to integrate outreach in the magazine.
- Facilitate social media events and/or giveaways by coordinating with donors and advertising giveaway posts.
- Maintain communication with the student body through outreach initiatives such as the creation and circulation of the reader survey and volunteer satisfaction survey.
- Support and assist the Executive Director in new initiatives or proposals.
- Attend Business Unit meetings.
- Help in providing brand reports to the Editor-in-Chief, for internal and GSJS use by creating and conducting focus group testing and other surveying methodologies.
- Prepare transition documents for their portfolio.
- Assist in other tasks as required.
- A student registered in at least one (1) course per semester for the 2020-21 academic year at the University of Alberta.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated campus project management (planning, coordinating, and taking projects from concept to completion).
- Previous event planning experience.
- Previous marketing experience.
- Professional social media management experience an asset.
- Experience with graphic design and the Adobe Creative Suite an asset.
- Must be self-directed and demonstrate effective time management with minimal supervision.
- A deep interest and understanding of The Gateway’s editorial vision and mandate on campus.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to incoming Editor-in-Chief Adam Lachacz at [email protected]. Applications are due April 22 at 10:00 p.m.
Interviews will be scheduled for the following weekend. Applicants must prepare a five-minute pitch about their vision for the position and what they can bring to The Gateway. This will be followed by a 30-minute interview.