Position: Executive Director
Reports to: Editor-in-Chief
Terms of contract: Full-time, one-year position from 1 May, 2020 to April 30, 2021
Salary: Performance-based determined by level of advertisements sold; starting salary of $6,980 with tiered increments resulting in a maximum salary of $13,490 and 10 per cent of ads sold (monthly distribution to be negotiated)
Job Summary: The Executive Director will be charged with managing the overall Business Unit at The Gateway by directly overseeing the Marketing & Outreach Coordinator and Business Administrator alongside the sale of online and print advertisements. The Executive Director will follow the wishes of the Editor-in-Chief and the Gateway Student Journalism Society Board, and must operate in accordance with the bylaws and policies of the Gateway Student Journalism Society at all times.
- Sell advertisements for the print Gateway magazine edition and online website in accordance with the publishing schedules, pricing, Society policy, and bylaws.
- Implement proper office communications and policies.
- Oversee the maintenance of a functional and welcoming office.
- Ensure strategic level business administration is completed and that any projects requiring attention are completed.
- Oversee and delegate accordingly the necessary regular yearly business functions, like the filing of taxes and the completion of yearly audits.
- Solicit local businesses, clubs, and organizations for sponsorship and contra opportunities to build relationships and promote The Gateway.
- Communicate developments effectively with the Editor-in-Chief.
- Hold regular Business Unit meetings involving the Marketing & Outreach Coordinator and Business Administrator, at minimum.
- Oversee and manage Business Unit operations.
- Ensure, in conjunction with the Art Director, that design work for outreach projects is completed in a timely fashion.
- Present to the GSJS Board in-person reports and materials which illuminate progress on advertisement sales, sponsorship and contra opportunities, and work undertaken by both the Business Administrator and the Marketing & Outreach Coordinator.
- Submit these reports and materials to the Board of Directors 72 hours in advance of all meetings.
- Solicit written reports in a timely manner from the Business Administrator and the Marketing & Outreach Coordinator for their respective projects.
- Assist in the annual budgeting process with direction from the Editor-in-Chief.
- Perform other duties as required by the Editor-in-Chief.
- Must be registered in the equivalent of at least one (1) course for credit at the University of Alberta during each the Fall and Winter sessions of their term in this position.
- Must be available to work varying hours.
- Must have computer skills.
- Must be able to deal effectively with the Society and University Staff, students, and the general public.
- Must be proficient in Google Suite. Knowledge of Quickbooks and DropBox is an asset.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to incoming Editor-in-Chief Adam Lachacz at email@example.com. Applications are due April 29 at 10:00 p.m.
Interviews will be scheduled for the following weekend. Applicants must prepare a five-minute pitch about their vision for the position and what they can bring to The Gateway. This will be followed by a 30-minute interview.