Position: Business Administrator
Reports to: Executive Director
Terms of Contract: Part-time, 10-25 hours per week, one-year position from 1 May 2020 to 30 April 2021 (hours may fluctuate from week to week).
Salary: $9,000 (monthly distribution to be negotiated)
Job Summary: The Business Administrator will be charged with managing day-to-day business operations and functions of The Gateway. The Business Administrator will follow the wishes of the Executive Director, and must operate in accordance with the bylaws and policies of the Gateway Student Journalism Society at all times.
- Implement proper office communications and policies.
- Oversee the maintenance of a functional and welcoming office.
- Ensure the office is fully stocked and able to serve staff properly with office supplies.
- Send off payroll, key requests, and other requests to the Students’ Union.
- Account for the funds through keeping accurate records of revenues and expenditures in proper financial statements
- Ensure that receipts are properly received, filed, and reimbursed as necessary.
- Write cheques and ensure they are signed by GSJS signing authorities. Send and deliver cheques to recipients.
- Administer, record transactions coming out of petty cash.
- Consistently update and upload financial documents for display on the website.
- Ensure invoices, tearsheets, and all documentation involved with advertising sales is recorded and maintained properly.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual base budget in conjunction with the Executive Director and the Editor-in-Chief.
- Finance Committee
- Prepare monthly profit/loss reports for the finance committee.
- Explain any month-to-month changes.
- Prepare transition documents for their portfolio.
- Assist the Executive Director in acquiring new advertising clients.
- Issue reimbursements to staff or volunteers as necessary, in accordance with Society policy and bylaws.
- Maintain consistent communication with bookkeeper and accountant to update and administer financial information
- Other responsibilities as necessary.
- Must be registered in the equivalent of at least one (1) course for credit at the University of Alberta during each the Fall and Winter sessions of their term in this position.
- Must be available to work varying hours.
- Must have computer skills.
- Must be able to deal effectively with the Society and University Staff, students, and the general public.
- Must be proficient in Google Suite. Knowledge of Quickbooks and DropBox is an asset.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to incoming Editor-in-Chief Adam Lachacz at email@example.com. Applications are due April 29 at 10:00 p.m.
Interviews will be scheduled for the following weekend. Applicants must prepare a five-minute pitch about their vision for the position and what they can bring to The Gateway. This will be followed by a 30-minute interview.