Design & Production Editor
Reports to: Editor-in-Chief
Terms of Contract: Full-time, from May 1, 2016 to April 30, 2017
Expected Hours: May – 20hrs/week, June and July – 10hrs/week, August – 20hrs/week, Sept.-Apr. – 35-40 hrs/week
*note: these hours may fluctuate from week to week.
The Design & Production Editor shall be responsible for the layout of The Gateway’s monthly magazine. The Design & Production Editor will also design any additional Gateway branding and promotional material. The Design & Production Editor must operate in accordance with the Gateway Student Journalism Society bylaws at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and ensure the final layout of each page of every issue of The Gateway’s magazine, as well as the supervision and support of individual sections.
- Create page templates for each issue, in consultation with the Editor-in-Chief and business staff, adhering to density guidelines, and indicating the layout of all pages around booked advertising, with special attention to preferred-placement orders.
- Be the primary point of contact with The Gateway’s printer. Ensure that files are uploaded or otherwise delivered to the printer on or before the deadline.
- Review proofs for design and formatting with the printer and be available to provide feedback to improve the look and consistency of typesetting and design.
- Aid, in conjunction with the Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor in the design of the front page.
- Aid in the design of the break pages of sections, when possible.
- In conjunction with the Managing Editor, endeavour to generate and/or solicit from volunteers story ideas that may be worthy of in-depth coverage for the magazine.
- In conjunction with the Managing Editor, create a timeline for each issue that will schedule layout deadlines for each page.
- Recruit and develop illustrators to provide creative support for feature design.
- Organize and maintain current and archived issue files on the server.
- Design Gateway related products as needed by The Executive Director and Outreach and Marketing Coordinator
- Hand out new issues of The Gateway once per month at the discretion of the Editor-in-Chief.
- Perform other job-related duties as required by the Editor-in-Chief.
- Must be registered in the equivalent of at least one (1) course for credit at the University of Alberta during the Fall and Winter term of their position.
- Must be available to work varying hours.
- Must have advanced computer design skills, specifically with the Macintosh platform and Adobe Creative Suite software.
- Preference will be given to candidates with illustration skills, particularly in regards to use of a tablet for digital illustration.
- Must be able to deal effectively with Gateway and University staff, students and the general public.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and portfolio to current Editor-in-Chief Cam Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org.